This amazing Smart Search browser add-on will save you lots of time every day due to fast and optimized smart searches for patients in OSCAR.
It was created by a clinic manager - Adrian Starzynski. After hearing complaints from many OSCAR users that the built-in patient search is not good enough/time-consuming, I created this add-on to make searching for patients in OSCAR much easier and faster, saving the average EMR user 10-20 mins per day. I couldn't find anything like this in any OSCAR version yet so I set out to save users time by creating the search functionality that I knew would save users in the clinic the most time when searching for patients/demographics in OSCAR-based EMRs.
No more clicking 6 times just to pull up a patient’s record via conventional search! Includes additional direct-goto-demographicID feature.
It works like this:
Once the add-on is installed, a "Smart Search" box and GO button appear on the OSCAR schedule homescreen.
It will look a bit different depending on your OSCAR version. For example it will look like this in OSCAR PRO:
It may look like this in other versions:
The add-on adds itself into the to-right of the schedule screen toolbar area, to the right of the schedule group selector dropdown. No matter how it looks, it will behave the same.
Smart Search add-on has the following features:
- Cursor is automatically focused in the Smart Search field when the schedule screen page loads/refreshes. This saves user time from having to manually use their mouse to select the field.
- After the search completes, the contents of the Smart Search field get automatically selected/hilighted so the next search can be done quickly and easily:
- You can press the enter key when in the Smart Search text box or press GO button to search. Nothing will happen when you press enter or GO if the field is blank! You need to input something to search...
- If you enter anything EXCEPT for numbers (i.e. letters, hyphens, apostrophes, etc.) then it will search by NAME since patient's names contain anything BUT numbers
- If you enter a 1-8 digit number then it treats it as searching for a specific demographic ID. The demographic's Master Record (if exists) that you entered will be automatically pulled up in a new window, eliminating the need for you to first enter the demographic ID and then manually select the demographic again. This fixes the mess of several open windows at once when you simply want to go directly to a specific demographic ID.
- If you enter a 9-10 digit number then it treats it as searching by HIN (health card number), since all provincial health card numbers in Canada are 9-10 digits long. A new window with the health card number search results will appear.
- If you enter a number in DOB format of YYYY-MM-DD (such as 2000-01-01) then it treats it as searching by DOB. A new window with the DOB search results will appear.
- If you enter a number in PHONE format of 555-555-5555 then it treats it as searching by phone. a new window with the phone search results will appear.
- Any other input results in search by name.
OSCAR Pro has a search box on the schedule screen which lets you search for Name and HIN but it is usually only for Ontario. This Smart Search add-on works for all regions and doesn't require any updates from the EMR vendor.
The old default method of patient searching meant that you had to click on "Search", then select from the dropdown what you are searching for (name/DOB/HIN/demographic/phone, etc.), then enter your query and press enter. Then if you wanted to simply go to the Master Record of a specific demographic ID, you wasted time with 5 additional clicks and two open windows. The Smart Search add-on fixes all this and eliminates the need for repetitive dropdown selections etc. since it recognizes what you're trying to search for and shows you the results accordingly with logic.
For example, if you input 2000-01-01 into the Smart Search field, it's obvious that you're trying to search for a patient by DOB and you shouldn't have to mess with dropdowns and additional windows to quickly complete this search. Same goes for health cards, phone numbers, and demographic ID's.
The price for this great add-on is only CA$8.99 per 5 devices. You can press add to cart to get it for 5 devices, and to purchase for more then you can just adjust the Quantity in the shopping cart. For example, QTY 2 = license for 10 devices. Anyone who uses this plugin must have purchased it here.
How to Install This Add-On
This is a standard Tampermonkey (formerly called Greasemonkey) browser add-on script. After you purchase it here you will get access to the .js script file which can be installed in the Tampermonkey browser extension.
Google Chrome Users
Once it's installed, locate it in your upper toolbar, click on the Tampermonkey icon , click Dashboard, then Utilities, and under Import from file, select the "OSCAR_Smart_Search.user.js" file from your computer. Then import it and it should be enabled automatically (if it's not then under Installed Userscripts, enable it with the slider).
Microsoft Edge Users
Since Microsoft Edge is just Microsoft's version of Chrome, you can install and use Tampermonkey the same way in Edge as you can in Chrome - the Chrome Web Store just needs to be enabled in Edge first. Microsoft has easy instructions on how to enable this here: Add, turn off, or remove extensions in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Support (go under the "Add, turn off, or remove extensions in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Support" section).
Go to the Tampermonkey Firefox add-on page and click Add to Firefox.
Once Tampermonkey is enabled, locate it in your upper toolbar, click on the Tampermonkey icon , click Dashboard, then Utilities, and under Import from file, select the "OSCAR_Smart_Search.user.js" file from your computer. Then import it and it should be enabled automatically (if it's not then under Installed Userscripts, enable it with the slider).
Let Us Install it For You
If you don't have the time to do the installation of the add-on, for CA$19 we can connect to your computer(s) via Teamviewer to remotely do the install in a few minutes. Contact [email protected] to arrange this. First you need to purchase the add-on on this page.
If you would like to include the functionality of this add-on in your software, please contact licensing division at [email protected]
- Download 4
- File Size 4.84 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date January 9, 2023
- Last Updated January 9, 2023